The Role of the FASS Ag Guide in Farm Animal Research
April 23, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. (CDT)
The issue of farm animal care in research is currently the subject of much discussion and debate in Washington, DC and around the country. To help clarify policies and procedures related to farm animal care and available resources, FASS, publisher of the Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research and Teaching (FASS Ag Guide) hosted a webinar entitled "The Role of the FASS Ag Guide in Farm Animal Research". Learn more about policy issues surrounding farm animal care and the role of the FASS Ag Guide.
Speakers and topics of discussion during the one-hour webinar include:
- Introduction-Overview — Ken Odde, FASS Science Policy Committee
- Situation in Washington, DC — Lowell Randel, FASS Science Policy Committee
- History-Current Animal Care Policies — John McGlone, FASS Scientific Advisory Committee on Animal Care and Chris Newcomer, AAALAC International
- Animal Welfare Act (AWA) — Who and what does it cover?
- The FASS Ag Guide — Why and how was it created, how is it updated, and who uses it (USDA-APHIS, AAALAC, University IACUCs)?
- Consequences of changing the AWA?
This webinar is being offered free by the FASS. A copy of the FASS Ag Guide can be found at http://www.fass.org/docs/agguide3rd/Ag_Guide_3rd_ed.pdf.